PERMUT8 Firmware patches

William Rawls11 121 views34 posts
  • Users avatarWilliam Rawls

    Holy shit, these are amazing. Please, please tell me you're creating additional ones. :o

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - Billy Rawls wrote:
    Holy shit, these are amazing. Please, please tell me you're creating additional ones. :o

    Of course. I can't promise they will be as awesome as SAM though. :)

  • Users avatarWilliam Rawls

    SAM indeed does rule.

    My wife became intensely irritated with me last night as I spent nearly an hour having my computer tell me it wants to shoot me with lasers.

  • Users avatarFredrik Lidström

    - Billy Rawls wrote:
    My wife became intensely irritated with me last night as I spent nearly an hour having my computer tell me it wants to shoot me with lasers.

    Haha, if I did that, my wife would indeed shoot me with anything. =)

  • Users avatarJohn Braner

    I'm having trouble getting SAM to say anything even remotely distinguishable - I guess I just need mor epractice ;-)

  • Users avatarHeiko Rother

    - jbraner wrote:
    I'm having trouble getting SAM to say anything even remotely distinguishable - I guess I just need mor epractice ;-)

    I always use the 44 speech rate (Instruction 1) for this. Higher speech rate means slower speech. I also dial in a fair amount of OUT lowpass as there's heavy aliasing.

    sam.png

    I guess this is as comprehensible as it gets.

  • Users avatarJohn Braner

    Thanks HiEnergy - I'll have a play with this ;-)

  • Users avatarWilliam Rawls

    - jbraner wrote:
    I'm having trouble getting SAM to say anything even remotely distinguishable - I guess I just need mor epractice ;-)

    I turn the speech frequency down to 5 or 11 and then adjust the clock rate manually, usually 2x the speech frequency (i.e. 10 at 5, 22 at 11). I set the throat and mouth switches thusly: 00111000 00111000.

    n.b. Writing this from memory at work. I may change this once I get home.

  • Users avatarJohn Braner

    Thanks Billy - I'll play some more over the weekend...

  • Users avatarriccardo ferri

    sorry guys but where i can get that script editor and firmware patches ? do they become available once i purchase the product? i'm still in demo mode.
    I have only "permut8 program banks" on my preset folder.
    Maybe it's on windows only?

    thanks for any advice

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - rfmusic wrote:
    sorry guys but where i can get that script editor and firmware patches ? do they become available once i purchase the product? i'm still in demo mode.

    Yes, the firmware patches are only usable when you register, but they should be installed on your computer with the demo already. On Mac they are located under /Library/Application Support/Sonic Charge/Permut8 Firmwares.

    You can also load a firmware patch via a .p8bank file. But we did not include any such .p8bank files with this release. It's a new experimental technology, kind of heavy on the cpu and poorly documented. We didn't want to push this too hard so we made it a hidden feature. Like a huge dinosaur Easter egg. :)

  • Users avatarTrailerman

    Sorry for being dumb, but I just purchased Permut8 and have no idea where to access this great looking tool .... Any help?

    Jules

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - Julien Bromley wrote:
    Sorry for being dumb, but I just purchased Permut8 and have no idea where to access this great looking tool .... Any help?
    Jules

    Are you talking about the entire plug-in now or the firmware patches? If you mean the plug-in, it depends on which host application you use. Please post a new support question in the support forum with all the relevant info and we'll try to help you. If you mean the firmware patches that we discuss here, you should logon to the built-in terminal by clicking the logotype and then entering "username" and "password". After that "run patch" and for example "sam hi there!".

  • Users avatarTrailerman

    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Are you talking about the entire plug-in now or the firmware patches? If you mean the plug-in, it depends on which host application you use. Please post a new support question in the support forum with all the relevant info and we'll try to help you. If you mean the firmware patches that we discuss here, you should logon to the built-in terminal by clicking the logotype and then entering "username" and "password". After that "run patch" and for example "sam hi there!".

    Hi Magnus - it was just the firmware patches I was looking for. All clear now.

    Many thanks

    Jules
    http://www.trailermen.com

  • Users avatarmikusan

    Are these firmware patches Mac-only? I'm on PC (Win7), I tried entering my username and all I'm getting is 'INVALID COMMAND' - I wanna play with SAM!!!

  • Users avatarSteven Lattimer

    I'm also struggling to get this going - just keep getting "invalid command"

    Edit - got it! You have to enter "logon" then "username" and "password"

  • Users avatarmikusan

    Nope - I got past logon, username but when I entered my password (I presume this is the key you get to unlock Permut8) I got another INVALID COMMAND message :(

  • Users avatarJohn Braner

    - mikusan wrote:
    Nope - I got past logon, username but when I entered my password (I presume this is the key you get to unlock Permut8) I got another INVALID COMMAND message :(

    The password is "password"!

  • Users avatarmikusan

    - jbraner wrote:
    The password is "password"!

    <DOH!>
    thanks jbraner - I think I lost several geek points for that one :(

  • Users avatarmichael forshaw

    i've been messing about with SAM since i bought permut8 yesterday and getting some good voice sounds but has anyone come up with a setting that makes the commodore 64 sam sound perfectly yet?

    what about you magnus? ;)

  • Users avatardrbdp

    I agree with jbraner it´s quite difficult to achieve anything distinguishable

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - Kerkovian wrote:
    I agree with jbraner it´s quite difficult to achieve anything distinguishable

    Here are the settings I used for the demo voice in Permut8. (This .p8bank also contains the SAM code btw, but you need to run the firmware patcher to get it to say something different.)

    SAM.p8bank.zip(21.8kB, 104 downloads)

  • Users avatardrbdp

    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Here are the settings I used for the demo voice in Permut8. (This .p8bank also contains the SAM code btw, but you need to run the firmware patcher to get it to say something different.)
    SAM.p8bank.zip(21.8kB, 104 downloads)

    Great!!!!! Now sounds great!!

  • Users avatarmichael forshaw

    brilliant! cheers Magnus :D

  • Users avatarMatt Parker

    I cant figure it out!
    Ive followed the instructions, tried variations and the closest to success I got was instead of 'Invalid Command' I got 'Please logon'.

    What the frig am I doing wrong!!!

    Can you clarify exactly what to do?
    Feeling pretty dumb......

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - varikusbrainz wrote:
    I cant figure it out!
    Ive followed the instructions, tried variations and the closest to success I got was instead of 'Invalid Command' I got 'Please logon'.
    What the frig am I doing wrong!!!
    Can you clarify exactly what to do?
    Feeling pretty dumb......

    You have to logon first. Username is "username" and password is "password". :)

    After that you should be able to type "run patch" and then "sam blahblah". (But before any of this, do load the .p8bank that I posted here to get a good sound.)

    In case your host doesn't send all key strokes to the plugin you can click the lowest part of the "virtual terminal" and enter text with a popup window instead.

  • Users avatarPete Horam

    This is awesome news. Thanks for your email - It may have been a badly kept secret but somehow evaded me. Haven't found a great deal of use for permut8 yet so hopefully I will now :D

    How many firmwares are there? Where can I get the remolder.p8bank you have pictured in the video?

  • Users avatarSilvio Ecomo

    This is great stuff!

  • Users avatarCinningbao

    Bit late to this awesome party, and it's probably all a bit old hat by now, but I was wondering.. is it possible to enter the complete phonetics? an extra command after 'sam'? I tried the % without success.. That would be incredible.

    Thanks for your work Magnus!

  • Users avatarCinningbao

    - Matthew Large wrote:
    Bit late to this awesome party, and it's probably all a bit old hat by now, but I was wondering.. is it possible to enter the complete phonetics? an extra command after 'sam'? I tried the % without success.. That would be incredible.

    Thanks for your work Magnus!

    I am foolish. I retried 'sam % <phoneme stirng>' and it worked!

    Here is a good SAM reference page:

    http://simulationcorner.net/index.php?page=sam

  • Users avatarBiome Digital

    When I type "run patch" I get "firmware not found". If I type "list" it doesnt list any firmwares but I have them on my computer.

    I have Sam installed from bank file but I can't change what it says. How do you do this in the terminal?

    Do I need to move the firmware files or folder?

    Thanks,

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - Matthew Large wrote:
    I am foolish. I retried 'sam % <phoneme stirng>' and it worked!

    Here is a good SAM reference page:

    http://simulationcorner.net/index.php?page=sam

    Coincidentally, Sebastian Macke (who wrote that page) did the original port from 6502 to C that I used when creating the SAM code for Permut8's virtual machine. I found and fixed some bugs (that I believe have been integrated on his source) by running his C code in tandem with a 6502 debugger on a C64 emulator.

    Don't know if I told this story already, but I managed to get in touch with one of the guys who wrote the original SAM code, but unfortunately he could not tell me who owned the copyright (SoftVoice Inc does not hold it, despite what Sebastian Macke claims on his page, cause the company didn't exist at the time). Since I could not find any other updated copyright information, I decided it was safe to include SAM in Permut8 (at least as an "easter egg").

  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    - Antony Parsons wrote:
    When I type "run patch" I get "firmware not found". If I type "list" it doesnt list any firmwares but I have them on my computer.

    I have Sam installed from bank file but I can't change what it says. How do you do this in the terminal?

    Do I need to move the firmware files or folder?

    Thanks,

    Is this PC or Mac?

    On Mac the path for firmwares is fixed and SAM should have been installed with the official Permut8 installer.

    On PC it's a little more complicated, but again, if you run the official installer, Permut8 ought to find the firmware directory.

  • Users avatarCinningbao

    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Coincidentally, Sebastian Macke (who wrote that page) did the original port from 6502 to C that I used when creating the SAM code for Permut8's virtual machine. I found and fixed some bugs (that I believe have been integrated on his source) by running his C code in tandem with a 6502 debugger on a C64 emulator.

    Don't know if I told this story already, but I managed to get in touch with one of the guys who wrote the original SAM code, but unfortunately he could not tell me who owned the copyright (SoftVoice Inc does not hold it, despite what Sebastian Macke claims on his page, cause the company didn't exist at the time). Since I could not find any other updated copyright information, I decided it was safe to include SAM in Permut8 (at least as an "easter egg").

    It is wonderful blast-from-the-past technology, in a replicated soft-form, designed to last the test of time! You've done an amazing job.

    The way Permut8 was described, and sounded once I'd purchased upon release, had me thinking at the time there was more to this machine than just the front interface. And now, what 8-9 months later I have another christmas!

    And soooo glad no-one appears to own the SAM technology - why would anyone let go of it!? I guess until someone proves they own it, it's ours to enjoy through your excellent plugins.

    Any more patches in the works, or any way to allow other coders to write for it? (not me unfortunately, possibly yet..)

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up


First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
×