Teenage Engineering PO-32

karkwai1 589 views72 posts
Page 2 of 2
  • Users avatarDC0

This is awesome! Thanks, karkwai, Fredrik, and Magnus!

Thanks, Fredrik for the tip to run separate instances of Microtonic--that never would have occurred to me.

And your descriptions of the knobs means there is a formulaic way to approach this, rather than slogging through the discrete bars' combinations approach.

• Users avatarMagnus Lidström

Haha. "Manknus Lidstrunt" is not my real name. ;) I answered that when logged on with my test user and didn't see it until now.

• Users avatarDC0

LOL--I wondered if that was you!

• Users avatarfabian l.

Hi,

It is with great pleasure that i discover Microtonic.

The transfer system and collaboration with Pocket operator is simply awesome,
    i hope that other projects are planned for the future. :)

If I could ask for one thing, it would be an "eq"

Proficiat

Fabian

• Users avatarBrandon McGarvey

I just received my PO-32 and I love it. I am about to start tinkering with Microtonic. I downloaded Savihost so that I can run Microtonic on my laptop just for making new sounds. I have Cubase on my main PC, but the laptop is more convenient. I have a couple questions for the Sonic Charge team.

1) Can I activate Microtonic on both of my computers? Now that I have it, I will probably use it with my DAW, in addition to the PO-32. I am not big on software instruments, but a nice drum synth/sequencer VST is something I could actually use in my setup.
    2) Do you have the "factory patches" for the PO-32 that can be loaded and transferred back to the PO-32? Not a big deal, but I like the included sounds and may want to revert back to them after I play around with creating my own. May sound silly, but just wondering.
    EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw in Microtonic that you can Ctrl+Click in the transfer tool to reset to the factory sound. NICE!

One other thing, if you are open to suggestions. Would an iOS version of Microtonic be possible? I was thinking how convenient it would be to just go to my iPad or iPhone to transfer patches to the PO-32.

• Users avatarZach Miller

I think that the Morph feature really shows the true power of Microtonic, but it could be even more awesome if panning would also transfer to the PO-32. Is something like this possible? It would be amazing to get a wider stereo vibe out of the pocket operator using left/right panning with the morph control :)

- Zach Miller wrote:
    I think that the Morph feature really shows the true power of Microtonic, but it could be even more awesome if panning would also transfer to the PO-32. Is something like this possible? It would be amazing to get a wider stereo vibe out of the pocket operator using left/right panning with the morph control :)

Sorry, no, the PO-32 is monophonic like its predecessors so it ignores the pan knob and the stereo switch. I had hoped to make it the first stereo Pocket Operator but CPU budget was extremely tight so I had to sacrifice that.

You need to buy two PO-32's. :)

- Brandon McGarvey wrote:
    2) Do you have the "factory patches" for the PO-32 that can be loaded and transferred back to the PO-32? Not a big deal, but I like the included sounds and may want to revert back to them after I play around with creating my own. May sound silly, but just wondering.

I saw you found that ctrl/cmd-clicking instrument buttons reset their sounds, but if you are still interested int the factory drum patches they are indeed installed with Microtonic 3.2. Check PO32 Factory Patches under By Category.

One other thing, if you are open to suggestions. Would an iOS version of Microtonic be possible? I was thinking how convenient it would be to just go to my iPad or iPhone to transfer patches to the PO-32.

I agree. It would be possible for us to port Microtonic to iOS course, but not easy. It is unlikely that just the two of us (Fredrik and me) could manage it. Taking in another programmer is not out of the question of course, but it would mean that the profits from iOS should sustain his/her salary. Co-developing it with an outside developer is another possibility, but unfortunately development rarely ends after the first launch. Apple has been very good at keeping us busy with OS X updates and I am certain iOS would not be any different, plus the fact that we will continue to update Microtonic as we have done for 13 years now.

I am not ruling out Sonic Charge on iPhones and iPads in the future but as you hear there are some obstacles and it is not something that we are planning as our next endeavor.

• Users avatarBrandon McGarvey

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    I agree. It would be possible for us to port Microtonic to iOS course, but not easy. It is unlikely that just the two of us (Fredrik and me) could manage it. Taking in another programmer is not out of the question of course, but it would mean that the profits from iOS should sustain his/her salary. Co-developing it with an outside developer is another possibility, but unfortunately development rarely ends after the first launch. Apple has been very good at keeping us busy with OS X updates and I am certain iOS would not be any different, plus the fact that we will continue to update Microtonic as we have done for 13 years now.
    I am not ruling out Sonic Charge on iPhones and iPads in the future but as you hear there are some obstacles and it is not something that we are planning as our next endeavor.

I understand. Thanks.

• Users avatarJesse Weston

Got my PO-32 and MicroTonic yesterday, and am liking it a lot. Good stuff!

One idea came to mind: What about online patch transfer? I mean specifically without needing the VST. Because all that is required to transfer a patch is sound, correct? A web page where people could go to preview patches, then transfer them if desired would be useful to a certain degree, as people would not be anchored to their desktop. If they are out and about, or for whatever reason don't have access to Microtonic, they could just go online and update their PO-32 with some fresh sounds. Just an idea.

• Users avatarDC0

It should be pretty easy to do cloud-based transfers of patterns already using 3rd party sound hosting sites like SoundCloud, etc. Just post up the playback audio of the pattern and then the modem audio of the pattern together as a pair. I'll bet people will start doing just that on their own.

• Users avatarDon Turner

Just wanted to say how awesome it would be to be able to transfer patterns from the PO-32 to microtonic, the workflow would be amazing, being able to make beats on the move, then seamlessly add them into an Ableton Live session for further tweakery.

Any idea on if/when this might be implemented?

Page 2 of 2

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.