Vintage Tonic

Magnus Lidström8 751 views103 posts
Page 2 of 2
  • Brocken Spectrum

    Thank you guys for the gifts.

  • Sjoerd van Geffen

    - martin jones wrote:
    Amazing, love both the sounds and the skin. Brilliant!
    Merry Xmas and thank.
    1 question - as someone badly Red/Green colourblind - is there any way to change the colour of the LED's on the new skin to something other than Red? (Blue or Yellow e.g).
    They're just a bit tough for me to see.
    Not the end of the world, still a lovely skin, but would be nice if simple to change.
    Thanks again!

    Sure, this can be done quite easily in most image editors (free image editing apps like GIMP should do the job just fine) by changing the hue of the (red channel of the) images containing those red LEDs. Some LEDs already use yellow (e.g. when clicking the 'trigger pads' in the top right corner), so I guess you'd want to turn all red into blue.

    I'll be happy to put this on my to-do list in case you need any further help, but I would suggest first trying to do this yourself, as it's really not hard to do, and I figure you run into similar problems more often, so it would be useful when you can just help yourself.

  • michael uman 1781 riverside drive

    Thank you for this lovely gift. Microtonic was my go-to drum machine for a long time. This year I started working more with samples to change up my workflow and save some CPU on my ancient computer,but I always end up going back to Microtonic since it can create such great synth percussion sounds. This will be a nice addition.

  • martin jones

    - Sjoerd van Geffen wrote:
    Sure, this can be done quite easily in most image editors (free image editing apps like GIMP should do the job just fine) by changing the hue of the (red channel of the) images containing those red LEDs. Some LEDs already use yellow (e.g. when clicking the 'trigger pads' in the top right corner), so I guess you'd want to turn all red into blue.
    I'll be happy to put this on my to-do list in case you need any further help, but I would suggest first trying to do this yourself, as it's really not hard to do, and I figure you run into similar problems more often, so it would be useful when you can just help yourself.

    Thanks for the response. :)

    And yes, always happy to have a go myself when its available to be changed.

    Replaced Red LEDs with Green and a brilliant skin now looks great to me!
    I've put my copy here if anyone else finds a use for it.
    https://we.tl/t-wG6p8jsVp5

    Thanks again!

    (and for anyone curious - was really simple to do in Gimp:

    Open the file.
    Convert to RGB (Image - Mode)
    Colours - Hue-Saturation - select the Red channel and slide the "Hue" slider to taste.
    Convert to Indexed (Image - Mode) (accept defaults)
    File - Export as - overwrite file, defaults.
    )

  • Fredrik Lidström

    - martin jones wrote:
    They're just a bit tough for me to see.

    Ah, yes, sorry, I didn't consider this when I made this skin. Glad you managed to fix it yourself and adjust it to what best suited your need and taste.

    Convert to Indexed (Image - Mode) (accept defaults)

    Thought I might add that Index color mode is not a requirement, our products will read any kind of PNG just fine. We make our default resources indexed because it saves a bit of space and we rarely need more than 256 colors in a single resource.

  • Dennis Santoyo

    Thank you for the gift!

  • Sjoerd van Geffen

    - martin jones wrote:
    - Sjoerd van Geffen wrote:
    Sure, this can be done quite easily in most image editors (free image editing apps like GIMP should do the job just fine) by changing the hue of the (red channel of the) images containing those red LEDs. Some LEDs already use yellow (e.g. when clicking the 'trigger pads' in the top right corner), so I guess you'd want to turn all red into blue.
    I'll be happy to put this on my to-do list in case you need any further help, but I would suggest first trying to do this yourself, as it's really not hard to do, and I figure you run into similar problems more often, so it would be useful when you can just help yourself.
    Thanks for the response. :)
    And yes, always happy to have a go myself when its available to be changed.
    Replaced Red LEDs with Green and a brilliant skin now looks great to me!
    I've put my copy here if anyone else finds a use for it.
    https://we.tl/t-wG6p8jsVp5
    Thanks again!
    (and for anyone curious - was really simple to do in Gimp:
    Open the file.
    Convert to RGB (Image - Mode)
    Colours - Hue-Saturation - select the Red channel and slide the "Hue" slider to taste.
    Convert to Indexed (Image - Mode) (accept defaults)
    File - Export as - overwrite file, defaults.
    )

    Awesome! You know what they say about giving out fish versus teaching to fish, right? Perhaps even Jesus got that one wrong. ;)

  • Sjoerd van Geffen

    - Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    - martin jones wrote:
    They're just a bit tough for me to see.
    Ah, yes, sorry, I didn't consider this when I made this skin. Glad you managed to fix it yourself and adjust it to what best suited your need and taste.

    Have you considered how u-he does it in Diva? You get an automatable parameter for LED hue, so it also works per instance, and can easily be hooked up to an LFO for party mode.

  • phrank

    thanks for this vintage gift. merry dmx-mas

  • Marc Moutte

    Noël Noël ...merci ..

  • Anaïs Brocher

    Thank you so much!

  • frédéric Henrion

    Thanks Microtonic is still my go to drum plugin

  • aoVI

    Much appreciated!

  • Alex Sky

    Thank You SO MUCH!!!

  • Quickmix

    This is it!

  • Orbit-50

    Thank you Magnus! I don't know what to say man. This is just...

  • synclab

    Hey Magnus and Friedrik Merry Xmas Thanks for the gift! You guys are fantastic! Wish you are healthy safe and sound and that 2021 turns great for you and your families! Much Love and Respect.

  • mats unnerholm

    Thanks a lot for this , !! I have same problem as someone wrote here earlier ..; I can load preset (I'm using MT as stand-alone) but no sounds load. The instrument section is empty , labeled "Init"..
    I can then separately load each instrument but shouldnt the patch also load the instruments?

  • Dj Dunwich

    Amazing ! thanks

  • Jean-Cedrick Lepin

    Thank you for the good work :)

  • Daniele Papini

    Yeah!
    Thank you!

  • Roberto Setteducati

    in which position of Mac ?

  • Koshdukai

    This is amazing, almost surreal though nowadays almost unsurprising in times where machine learning is being used to model filters etc :)

    Heck, I now have a 808+909 on my PO-32 :O ...so, all I'm missing is a 303 on my OP-1 ;D

  • Ferengi

    I'm so impressed about Vintage Tonic, because it sounds really, really good !!!
    Now i don't need a Behringer Hardware-Clone anymore. My Prophet REV2 comes to live with Vintage Tonic !
    The new Skin is also very nice and much better for my eyes (sorry for this cheek Fredrik).
    Thank you friends for the new skin, and thank you for this soundset, Fredrik !

    I have only one problem with the new skin...it is difficult to see which note is triggered.

  • Dietz Tinhof

    Incredible expansion! Many thanks from an original "TinTonic"-owner! ;-)

  • Nicolas B

    thanks for the gift! do you think one day we could use microtonic on teenage OPZ like on po32?

  • Josse Antony

    Just tried with my PO Tonic, it's amazing!

  • Roger S.

    Thanks for this nice present!!!!

  • Tom Quick

    Wow - great addition to an already great drum machine!
    Many thanks indeed!

  • Peter Mo

    Thanks for the download. This is awesome.
    As a developer, I am extremely curious about how you used ML to produce these kits. I won't ask you to share the code but I wonder if maybe you could point us towards some online resources to help us understand the process. Or just give us the basic outlines of it. Thanks !!

  • CC4

    Thank you so much.

  • David Loh

    Thanks for this! Outstanding stuff.

  • Alex DeYoung

    Really impressive. My favourite drum machine (hardware or software) is now even better. Thank you

  • Dave Ashford

    Thanks for this nice gift, very interesting that machine learning was used to create the patches! :)

  • Barry Knight

    What a stinger in the stocking. Thank you microtonic providers and cheers from Nova Scotia, Canada!

  • Mr_Clean

    HI Marcus, love your work and thanks for the continual support of Microtonic (and your other plugs). I would be lost without Microtonic in my productions (a great companion to NI Maschine), and it also saved me spending big $$ on Elektron !!

  • Thibaut Caudrelier

    Sounds so great !!!
    Thank you !!!!

  • Jürgen Klippel

    My dream became reality!
    I bought microtonic long time ago to emulate classic drum machines. Now I can do it.
    A fantastic peace of software.
    Thank you very very much!!!

  • Edouard

    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Happy holidays synth friends!
    During the past few years I have been experimenting with machine learning algorithms that search for parameter settings to imitate any sound with any synth. Today I am happy to reveal the first fruit of this labor: Vintage Tonic.
    Vintage Tonic is a patch package for Microtonic created from recordings of the following classic drum machines:
    - Maestro Rhythm King (1960)
    - Keio / Korg Minipops 7 (1966)
    - Roland CR-78 CompuRhythm (1978)
    - Korg KR-55 (1979)
    - Roland TR-808 Rhythm Composer (1980)
    - Oberheim DMX (1981)
    - Linn Drum (1982)
    - Roland TR-909 Rhythm Composer (1984)
    - Roland TR-707 Rhythm Composer (1984)
    - Roland TR-505 Rhythm Composer (1986)

    Notice that the collection includes both analog and digital drum machines. Naturally, the digital drum machines are much harder to reproduce using Microtonic's synthesizer engine, but even imperfect results are fun, and I find the sounds quite useful.
    The older drum machines were mainly preset pattern players. I have painstakingly tried to reproduce not only their sounds but also all of their original patterns.
    I hope you will find this collection useful. I believe it shows a new side of Microtonic, and it amazes even me how versatile this old plugin still is.
    Have a listen for yourselves:
    YouTube Video


    Download the package from our download page: https://soniccharge.com/download
    Also, check out the skin that Fredrik made to celebrate this release: https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/1777?~post8491
    Best wishes for the remainder of 2020 and let us hope that 2021 will be a better one.
    / Magnus Lidström

    This is insanely great!

  • Nicolas B

    - mats unnerholm wrote:
    Thanks a lot for this , !! I have same problem as someone wrote here earlier ..; I can load preset (I'm using MT as stand-alone) but no sounds load. The instrument section is empty , labeled "Init"..
    I can then separately load each instrument but shouldnt the patch also load the instruments?

    Hi, i ve also the same problem with the presets vintage tonic. in fact when I try to load on my Mac a vintage preset nothing happens on microtonic. The others kind of presets work perfectly well but not the vintage s ones... On the other hand I can load individual sounds from the vintage kits...
    thanks for helping me...

  • Nicolas B

    - Nicolas B wrote:
    - mats unnerholm wrote:
    Thanks a lot for this , !! I have same problem as someone wrote here earlier ..; I can load preset (I'm using MT as stand-alone) but no sounds load. The instrument section is empty , labeled "Init"..
    I can then separately load each instrument but shouldnt the patch also load the instruments?
    Hi, i ve also the same problem with the presets vintage tonic. in fact when I try to load on my Mac a vintage preset nothing happens on microtonic. The others kind of presets work perfectly well but not the vintage s ones... On the other hand I can load individual sounds from the vintage kits...
    thanks for helping me...

    I answer to myself because I ve found my problem and it can be useful for people who has the same issu :
    You have to update your microtonic to make vintage presets working!

  • Ben Wiley

    How did you decide which sounds to reproduce when you only have a palette of 8 but some of the drum machines have as many as 16 sounds?

Page 2 of 2

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up


First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
×