New forum system (how is it working for you?)

Magnus Lidström833 views6 posts
  • Users avatarMagnus Lidström

    Testing, testing, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 ...

    Did anyone notice a slight change in the design here at soniccharge.com?

    For the past couple of weeks Fredrik has been merging one of his most ambitious site updates yet to the "live branch". One part of which is a sizable upgrade to the forum system and design.

    The work is not entirely complete yet, but how is it working for you so far?

  • Users avatarSteve Naumovski

    Well, it seemed to break log-in for me.

    Previously, forum log-in would ask for "username" and "password" and now it asks for "email" and "password". Not a big issue unless you can't remember which email you used. However, even after using the correct "email" and "password" I still could not log in. It kept saying "invalid password" even when I know it to be correct. I had to click "reset password" and wait for email link in order to finally log in.

    One a side note, there doesn't seem to be a way to contact Sonic Charge without logging in - bit of a problem if, for example, you can't log-in!

    Apart from the above and a few missing symbols/fonts all seems ok. (In some places I get a box with numbers like E004, E028 where I'm guessing a symbol or text should be).

    Steve

  • Users avatarFredrik Lidström

    - n0rd wrote:
    Well, it seemed to break log-in for me.
    Previously, forum log-in would ask for "username" and "password" and now it asks for "email" and "password". Not a big issue unless you can't remember which email you used. However, even after using the correct "email" and "password" I still could not log in. It kept saying "invalid password" even when I know it to be correct. I had to click "reset password" and wait for email link in order to finally log in.

    Hi Steve,

    The new login is part of the site upgrade. Previously the login was only a forum specific login. What I have done now is added an own site-login. This will make is possible for us to use the same login for additional content downloads but also product and account management. I did try to convert all the old forum logins and passwords, but I was unable to move facebook and twitter logins. I am not sure why your password did not work, but I am glad you managed to fix it.

    - n0rd wrote:
    One a side note, there doesn't seem to be a way to contact Sonic Charge without logging in - bit of a problem if, for example, you can't log-in!

    This was a mistake carried over from the site testing, the contact form was not supposed to be login-protected. Sorry about that. =)

    - n0rd wrote:
    Apart from the above and a few missing symbols/fonts all seems ok. (In some places I get a box with numbers like E004, E028 where I'm guessing a symbol or text should be).

    Ah, I am using custom fonts for both some texts as well as glyphs on the page. What browser/OS and versions are you using that have problems with this?

    Thanks a lot for the feedback.

    / Fredrik

  • Users avatarSteve Naumovski

    - Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    Ah, I am using custom fonts for both some texts as well as glyphs on the page. What browser/OS and versions are you using that have problems with this?

    Win7 64 (Build 7601) & Firefox 20.0.1

  • Users avatarFredrik Lidström

    Thank you, FF should be able to handle my font-face unless I broke something on the way. I will set the same version up and see if I can replicate the problem.

  • Users avatarFredrik Lidström

    Turned out that when going live I broke the fonts in Firefox. Firefox is one of the few browsers that enforces strict domain checking and when going live, the font resources automatically gets placed on our CDN domain and it broke. I have fixed it now. Thank you for noticing it, good catch.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up


First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
×